Emacs (originally EMACS, a set of Editor MACroS), is a number of text editing programs which are known for their extensive customizability. There are a host of emacs features which we intend to discuss on this blog. Some highlights are:
- C/C++ development, including intelligent code completion
- org-mode, which can be used for efficient outlining and record keeping, among other things
- LaTeX source editing with AUCTeX
Finally, the longstanding
emacs vs. vim debate will scarcely be discussed here. Emacs is typically favored on this site, but we pass no judgement on users who prefer vim.
- Tue 31 Mar 2020Managing my Annotated Bibliography with Emacs' Org Mode
Org mode is a fantastic tool for managing references. Here's a description of how I use it, and some additional packages, to manage my annotated bibliography.
- Sun 22 Mar 2020A Guide to My Organizational Workflow: How to Streamline Your Life
Detailed notes are needed to accomplish individual projects or tasks but not the big picture. Task lists and calendars focus on the big picture at the expense of detail. An effective organizational system requires both. This post gives a high-level overview of my Getting Things Done inspired organizational workflow.
- Sun 24 Jun 2018Literate Programming with Org-mode
I frequently use Org mode to combine code snippets and analysis in a single document, a programming paradigm known as Literate Programming. Here are a few example showing how powerful this setup can be.
- Thu 2 Mar 2017A Complete Guide to Email in Emacs using Mu and Mu4e
Most email clients are a pain. Emacs & mu4e are less of a pain.
- Mon 19 Dec 2016Vim Within Emacs: An Anecdotal Guide
After using Emacs for 2 years, I decided to give "evil-mode" (Vim keybindings) a tentative try and I'm not looking back.
- Sun 4 Sep 2016My Workflow with Org-Agenda
I use Emacs' "org-mode" to organize my life. Here's a snippet of how I get it all working.
- Mon 24 Aug 2015Getting Started with Use-Package
Jump-start emacs with use-package and never manually install another package again
- Wed 5 Aug 2015C/C++ Completion in Emacs
Handle large-project C++ completion with Irony & GNU GLOBAL