For indicating content which reflects our thoughts and opinions on issues of interest to us.
- Fri 13 Mar 2020The Valley of AI Trust
Particularly for safety-critical applications or the automation of tasks that can directly impact quality of life, we must be careful to avoid the valley of AI trust—the dip in overall safety caused by premature adoption of automation.
- Mon 30 Dec 2019Machine Learning & Robotics: My (biased) 2019 State of the Field
My thoughts on the past year of progress in Robotics and Machine Learning.
- Thu 31 Oct 2019Anyone sufficiently experienced is indistinguishable from a magician
Surrounded by brilliant people, I see my friends and colleagues produce surprising insights seemingly from thin air. Only through dedication to a craft can one gain the depth of understanding necessary to demonstrate this level of mastery.
- Thu 8 Aug 2019The "Myths List" is a communication antipattern
I rarely find these /Myth List/ articles compelling, yet many such articles could benefit from a more clearly presented statement of the author's viewpoint.
- Wed 7 Aug 2019On the efficiency of Artificial Neural Networks versus the Brain
Recent ire from the media has focused on the high-power consumption of artificial neural nets (ANNs), yet popular discussion frequently conflates training and testing. Here, I aim to clarify the ways in which conversations involving the relative efficiency of ANNs and the human brain often miss the mark.
- Sat 12 Jan 2019Don't Let Your Hobbies Die
I've discovered over time is that many of my skills and passions have developed only through little side-projects that never see the light of day. The combination of the satisfaction I get from freely exploring a new idea and the occasional long-term reward make me feel as if I am constantly growing.
- Wed 9 Jan 2019Massive Datasets and Generalization in ML
Big, publically available datasets are great. Yet many practitioners who seek to use models pretrained on this data need to ask themselves how informative the data is likely to be for their purposes. Dataset bias and task specificity are important factors to keep in mind.
- Sun 16 Dec 2018DeepMind's AlphaZero and The Real World
Using DeepMind's AlphaZero AI to solve real problems will require a change in the way computers represent and think about the world. In this post, we discuss how abstract models of the world can be used for better AI decision making and discuss recent work of ours that proposes such a model for the task of navigation.
- Mon 19 Nov 2018On Blaming Cosmic Rays
In my last lab, cosmic radiation was one of the many inescapable factors that limited how precisely we could measure the output of our laser; only by understanding what limits performance can one hope to have a reasonable estimate of what is possible.
- Wed 5 Sep 2018Practical Guidelines for Getting Started with Machine Learning
The potential advantages of AI are many, and using machine learning to accelerate your business may outweigh potential pitfalls. If you are looking to use machine learning tools, here are a few guidelines you should keep in mind.
- Sun 29 Jul 2018Bias in AI Happens When We Optimize the Wrong Thing
Bias is a pervasive problem in AI. Only by discouraging machine learning systems from exploiting a certain bias can we expect such a system to avoid doing so.
- Mon 15 Jan 2018Motivated People Don't Need a Job Title
Having too many specific tasks is limiting and can stymie the creative impulses that give rise to fantastic employees.
- Tue 7 Mar 2017Y.A.U.S (Yet Another Uber Scandal)
The tech culture is broken, and Uber is just the tip of an iceberg.
- Wed 21 Dec 2016Be Caring & Reach Out
This time of year can be tough, so reach out to a friend to check in.
- Thu 31 Mar 2016Have You Tried Using a 'Nearest Neighbor Search'?
More complicated ≠ better. In many circumstances, using the most sophisticated approaches to Machine Learning (like deep learning) may not be worthwhile.
- Fri 5 Feb 2016How We Teach Programming, and Where We're Going Wrong
Programming matters. As more of the country recognizes the importance of the skill, an increasing number of methods for teaching programming concepts have popped up. However, the emphasis should lean towards how to apply programming across disciplines.