- Wed 5 Sep 2018Practical Guidelines for Getting Started with Machine Learning
The potential advantages of AI are many, and using machine learning to accelerate your business may outweigh potential pitfalls. If you are looking to use machine learning tools, here are a few guidelines you should keep in mind.
- Sun 2 Sep 2018For AI, translation is about more than language
Translation is about expressing the same underlying information in different ways, and modern machine learning is making incredibly rapid progress in this space.
- Sun 29 Jul 2018Bias in AI Happens When We Optimize the Wrong Thing
Bias is a pervasive problem in AI. Only by discouraging machine learning systems from exploiting a certain bias can we expect such a system to avoid doing so.
- Sun 24 Jun 2018Literate Programming with Org-mode
I frequently use Org mode to combine code snippets and analysis in a single document, a programming paradigm known as Literate Programming. Here are a few example showing how powerful this setup can be.
- Mon 15 Jan 2018Motivated People Don't Need a Job Title
Having too many specific tasks is limiting and can stymie the creative impulses that give rise to fantastic employees.
- Wed 27 Dec 2017My Favorite Deep Learning Papers of 2017
Here are five deep learning papers I felt rose above the rest in 2017.
- Sat 23 Sep 2017Enhancing Websites with Clear Visual Design
Clarity is key. Here are some tips for improving your website or blog.
- Tue 7 Mar 2017Y.A.U.S (Yet Another Uber Scandal)
The tech culture is broken, and Uber is just the tip of an iceberg.
- Thu 2 Mar 2017A Complete Guide to Email in Emacs using Mu and Mu4e
Most email clients are a pain. Emacs & mu4e are less of a pain.
- Wed 21 Dec 2016Be Caring & Reach Out
This time of year can be tough, so reach out to a friend to check in.
- Mon 19 Dec 2016Vim Within Emacs: An Anecdotal Guide
After using Emacs for 2 years, I decided to give "evil-mode" (Vim keybindings) a tentative try and I'm not looking back.
- Sun 4 Sep 2016My Workflow with Org-Agenda
I use Emacs' "org-mode" to organize my life. Here's a snippet of how I get it all working.
- Thu 31 Mar 2016Have You Tried Using a 'Nearest Neighbor Search'?
More complicated ≠ better. In many circumstances, using the most sophisticated approaches to Machine Learning (like deep learning) may not be worthwhile.
- Wed 16 Mar 2016The Physics of Maxwell's Equations
Maxwell's Equations govern the study of electromagnetism, one of the fundamental forces of nature. Here, I attempt to motivate these beautiful equations and present some of their more interesting consequences.
- Fri 5 Feb 2016How We Teach Programming, and Where We're Going Wrong
Programming matters. As more of the country recognizes the importance of the skill, an increasing number of methods for teaching programming concepts have popped up. However, the emphasis should lean towards how to apply programming across disciplines.
- Sun 17 Jan 2016Disabling Ubuntu's Broken Wi-Fi Driver
Ubuntu's 802.11n Wi-Fi driver is notoriously broken; here's how to turn it off.
- Mon 24 Aug 2015Getting Started with Use-Package
Jump-start emacs with use-package and never manually install another package again
- Mon 10 Aug 2015Technologies Behind Caches To Caches
Here's how I built this blog, which relies on Django/Apache on Amazon EC2
- Wed 5 Aug 2015C/C++ Completion in Emacs
Handle large-project C++ completion with Irony & GNU GLOBAL
- Tue 24 Mar 2015Koding with Django
Koding’s free cloud-based linux dev environment has had me playing for a while. Here’s how to use it with Django.
- Sat 21 Mar 2015Hello, World!
Obligatory first post; welcome to our blog.